8.01.2016

Taiwan: July 23, 2016

Saturday 

Saturday was another cultural trip and on this day we got to go to the ocean and I planned to swim for a bit, search for seashells, and play in the waves! We headed towards Yilan which is on the east side of the island. For those who don't know the east side of Taiwan is not as populated as the west side, however, many believe that the east side is more beautiful than the west side. Our first stop was a water park on a river called Dongshan. It was fun to play in a pool and get sprayed by water.

Also sometimes I forget that Taiwan is an island but at all times we are surrounded by water. Last summer I never made it to the ocean but this summer I knew that there would be a trip planned. Before we made it to the ocean we stopped the Lanyang Museum and got our first glimpse of Turtle Island. Lanyang Museum showed us a glimpse of the history of Yilan! The building has a really interesting design to it!




After we went to the museum we got to go to the beach! I did everything I wanted to do and even avoided getting stung by jellyfish and eaten by a shark. It was so fun to be in the ocean for the first time and to play in the waves. I got sand everywhere and I couldn't get the shower at the beach to work so I was really gross for a while. Not to mention it was very black sand not like the pretty white sand beaches we have in the US. The sun was very bright so my eyes are pretty squinty in this next picture! 


Turtle Island is behind me in this picture but is much farther away from where I was than it looks! 

After our beach adventure we went to a restaurant to have a very traditional meal where all the dishes are shared, kind of like Thanksgiving! The meal was very good and I ate some of the best fish I've ever had!






No comments:

Post a Comment